This recipe is a cross between the Penzeys Spices Perfect Vanilla cupcake recipe my grandma sent me and Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes recipe found on marthastewart.com.
- 3 sticks butter softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 c. self rising flour (or whisk 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt into 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. strawberry extract
- 3/4 c. pureed strawberries
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Starting and ending with an egg, alternate adding eggs and flour, beating until each is thoroughly incorporated.
- Beat in vanilla and strawberry extract.
- Beat in strawberry puree.
- Evenly divide batter among prepared cups. Bake until fully cooked and golden, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cupcakes stand a couple of minutes then cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 2 dozen.
strawberry buttercream frosting ingredients.
- 2 extra large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. strawberry extract
- 4 c. sifted powder sugar
- 4 sticks of butter at room temperature
- 6 T. strawberry puree
strawberry buttercream frosting directions.
- Beat butter on medium high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolk, vanilla, and strawberry extract. Beat 3 more minutes.
- Add strawberry puree. Stir until blended.
- Turn mixture to low and gradually add powder sugar.
- Beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Spread immediately on the cooled cupcakes.
If you can get your hands on a pastry bag, it works easier than one of those plastic contraptions that you have to refill with frosting every two cupcakes that you frost.
This recipe is sure to please any strawberry-lover you know.
This recipe I was not impressed with. Very little strawberry flavor.
Thanks for the feedback, Tori. They certainly look anemic in the pictures. I haven’t made these again since I made them in June 2010. Maybe try it again when strawberries are in season? I will have to try the recipe again this summer and see if it needs improvement.