The first time I had an Acai Bowl was, embarrassing, not that long ago.It was when I moved back to California (two years ago) at Acai King in Huntington Beach. I chose the peanut butter banana flavor and watched him scoop a humongous portion of peanut butter into the already prepared Acai mix. It was the best thing ever. Since then, I’ve been trying to recreate that delicious bowl. I bought some frozen Acai from Fresh and Easy back when they were around. It did not yield the same results. Not even close. Then I bought Julie Morris’s book Superfood Snacks, which turned me on to Acai Powder.
- 1/3 c. almond milk
- 1/3 c. vanilla yogurt (I used greek)
- 1 c. frozen mixed berries
- 2 T. dried mulberries
- 1 T. Acai Powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 T. peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1/3 c. granola
- one small banana, sliced
- 1/2 T. hemp seeds
- 1/2 T. chia seeds
- 1/2 T. goji berries
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until completely incorporated. I had a large frozen strawberry that never got broken down so make sure all your berries get blitzed!
- Pour into a bowl and top with granola, banana, seeds and berries. Eat immediately.
I used unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened Greek yogurt which made this bowl very unsweet. That’s actually the point of Julie’s recipe. It’s good and refreshing with no real trace of sweetness. If you’re cutting back on sugar, do the same. If low sugar is not your thing, feel free to use sweetened almond milk and sweetened yogurt. If that’s not sweet enough, I would then add a bit of agave syrup. Enjoy!