This is easy and fast. Perfect if you’re looking for different kind of appetizer or a light and (somewhat) healthy supper. I used fresh, ripe tomatoes from my sister’s garden. Thanks for the recipe, Grandma!
If you don’t have sherry vinegar in your pantry, sub balsamic vinegar. You can use any type of bread you want just make sure to toast it. I think a hearty whole wheat bread would be fab in this recipe. You can also dip toasted baguette slices or small pieces of toasted bread into the bowl and scoop up the ingredients. It’s also good enough to eat with a spoon if you’re not into eating bread.
If you have any leftovers and you want something different you can use the ingredients to make a Tomato and Basil Bruschetta.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ c. chopped basil
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 T. sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. cubed fresh mozzarella
- toasted baguette or sour dough slices
- Crush tomatoes in a bowl with your hands.
- Add the remaining ingredients (besides the bread) and stir well. Ladle over toasted baguette slices of toasted sour dough bread.